2018 walks programme is out now
If you have anny queries about any of the walks, please either contact the leader direct or the walks coordinator on 0117 933 4998
Should you require hard copy, then please call the walks coordinator on the number above
Winter Get together
This has now taken place
2018 season has not yet started
Currently no other festival dates are known
Want discounted travel?
Please see the following section regarding this
includes all rail cards and the discount scheme between Westbury and Weymouth
OR Plus Bus details can be found on
Wessex Wanderer Railway Walks would not run without the support of the leaders from the 4 areas that covers the line and the people that regularly turn up on the walks, but we are grateful for the support from the following organisations who help us with funding, advertisements and other general support.
Further details can be found on their websites, as much more goes on outside the events that we organise.
The Heart of Wessex Rail Partnership (website http://www.heartofwessex.org.uk/ )
Gives further information on the following -:
and many other details - this was revamped in early 2015
The Severnside Community Rail Partnership (website http://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/ )
The website gives the following details -:
and many other details
The Friends of Bristol Suburban Bristol Railways (FOSBR)
The website is as follows -: http://www.fosbr.org.uk/
Contains details regarding the following -:
Plus plenty of other information
The current train operating company, First Great Western (website http://www.gwr.com )
The website contains the following -:
and many other things
First Great Western, always appreciate feedback, and this can be done by e-mail, telephone, fax, textphone or by writing to them.
They can be contacted by the following means -:
1) using the website address above
2) E-mail email@example.com (this can be general stuff such as lights not working, or information boards etc) - can be used anytime of day or night
3) Telephone 08457 000 125
4) Fax 08456 000 125
5) Text phone 018001 971 329
(for the above numbers they are open from 0700 - 2200 daily)
6) Written address - Great Western Railway
If you are contacting Great Western Railway about a specfic journey they will require all the relevant details such as name, contact details (address, telephone number etc) the journey details (ticket type and number, which are both found on the ticket), where you are going from and to, with departure times and arrival times, and length of delay etc.
If you are contacting them regarding a delayed journey it would be best to write (and it is FREEPOST - saving the cost of a stamp) and do not forget to enclose the ticket. Customer comment forms and Passenger's Charter claim forms can be picked up at manned stations, but this is not esssential as long as all the details are enclosed, but they just provide a useful prompt.
If the company is not contacted regarding a specific issue then it did not happen, however trivial it may appear, and you could well be helping customers in the future.
The Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP) have a section on the Community Rail Diary section of their website and this is grately appreicated
For further information their website can be viewed as follows http://www.acorp.uk.com/
The website is a national website
Bradford on Avon Walkers are Welcome town, not only do a walking festival in September each year, which we provide a walk on this programme, they help advertise other walks that we do to or from Bradford on Avon, Freshford and Avoncliff. There is a separate page on the Bradford on Avon under Walking Festivals
Their website is http://www.walkbradfordonavon.org/
The walks for 2015 were as follows
1) Saturday 9th May 2015 - Freshford - 15 mile circular walk
2) Wednesday 13 May 2015 - 6 mile circular walk from Avoncliff - with time to visit Farleigh Hungerford Castle (free for English Heritage members or admission charge) - walk may be shortened at Freshford.
3) Saturday 16th May 2015 - FREE 2 hour guided tour of Bradford on Avon (blue badge equivalent) - maximum 3 miles
4) Saturday 6th June 2015 - Freshford 9 mile circular walk
5) Saturday 13th June 2015 - Bradford on Avon - 9 mile circular walk
6) Wednesday 1st July 2015 - Freshford to Avoncliff - 6 mile linear walk - includes visit to Iford Manor Gardens - admission charge or free for Historic Houses Association members
7) Saturday 12th September 2015 - 7 mile circular walk from Freshford.
8) Saturday 10th October 2015 - Westbury to Avoncliff - 11 mile circular walk - this walk may be shortened at Rode by using the bus to either Frome or Bath
The West Wiltshire Rail Users Group (WWRUG) is an independent association which aims to maintain and enhance the rail services serving the West Wiltshire area. Meetings are held throughout the year in local towns, with prominent speakers from the rail industry, local government and other relevant organisations, giveing infromative talks on rail related issues.
Members receive a regular newsletter in return for a very modest annual subscription.
The website for the West Wiltshire Rail Users Group is www.wwrug.org.uk and this includes a home page, meeting details and
station information, as well as important links and how to join should you be interested.
The group are a volunteer group founded in 1997 and affiliated to the Heart of Wessex Community Rail Working Party. This consists of similar groups for all the stations between Bristol and Weymouth and work on the Bruton station garden the group meet on the first Thursday of each month from March to November, and further details of joining can be found on their website
Their website is http://www.brutoncarytrains.co.uk/
Thank you to Mary Ostler (and staff) for advertisng our walks in the South Somerset area, that start from stations in the area - mainly Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary and Bruton.
2014 walks were as follows -:
1) Saturday 24th May 2014 - Bruton 11 mile circular
2) Wednesday 18th June 2014 - 5 or 10 mile linear from Yeovil Pen Mill to Thornford
3) Wednesday 9th July 2014 - 8 mile linear walk from Yeovil Pen Mill to Thornford
4) Wednesday 27th August 2014 - 7 mile walk from Stoke Sub Hambden to South Petherton (using the bus from Yeovil to Stoke Sub Hamden and returning from South Petherton to Yeovil)
5) Saturday 20th September 2014 -Bruton - 10 mile circular walk
6) Wednesday 8th October 2014 - 6 mile walk from Bruton to Castle Cary
The website for other diary events is http://www.visitsouthsomerset.com/
This section lists many othere things going on in the area.
South Somerset District Council website for other details is -: http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/
2015 walks were as follows -:
a) Wednesday 27th May 2015 - 7 mile circular walk from Montacute - inluding Montacute Park and Odcombe, using the bus to get to and from Montacute (Yeovil Pen Mill)
b) Saturday 30th May 2015 - 9 mile circular walk from Castle Cary
c) Wednesday 17th June 2015 - 4 mile circular walk from Bruton - time in afternoon to visit Hauser and Wirth Art Gallery
d) Thursday 3rd September 2015 - 7 or 10 mile walk from Yeovil Pen Mill
e) Saturday 3rd October 2015 - 6 or 12 mile circular walk from Bruton
f) Wednesday 14 October 2015 - 6 mile linear walk from Bruton to Castle Cary
Frome Town Council - various events go on throughout the year
The Tourist Information Centre
5 Palmer Street
Tel - 01373 465757
Discover Frome Website - www.discoverfrome.co.uk
(There are monthly markets on 1st Sunday of each month from March to December each year)
Or try this website http://www.frometowncouncil.gov.uk/
This primarily is an Inventory of Websites describing named paths, trails and related walks and ways which are 'open to all' and it is supplemented with links to other Websites which are more generally relevant to walkers and walking in the UK.
Ramblers' Association, 2nd Floor, Camelford House, 87 -90 Embankment Road, LONDON SE1 7TW
Tel -: 020 7339 8500
The Ramblers' Association is a company limited by guarentee, registered in England & Wales. Company registration number 4458492. Registered charity in England & Wales number 1093577. Registered charity in Scotland number SC039799. Registered office: 2nd Floor, Camelford House,
87 -90 Albert Embankment, LONDON SE1 7TW